Thursday 28 March 2013

Itunes Cloud Purchases aren't all cracked up to be

As an avid media watcher I have begun to move my life away from the physical mediums to the digital. This has been for two reasons, the first I have no room in my flat, the second being future proof.

Now being an Apple fanboy I started getting a few video's via apples great 12 days of christmas. Then I brought an Apple TV and it changed my life, less and less I use my DVD player for TV shows and even Movies.

So to start with I replaced Video's for an SD download copy, I occasionally buy HD versions but just don't want to pay the extra money when I can get two films for the same price. So my collection has been building slowly occasionally I've invested in bundles, again great ways to get lots of films on the cheap.

They all play better than DVD's, though I do miss the extras of DVD's that AppleTv can't emulate.  That's fine though, as my collection is growing brilliantly and my VHS collection is slowly decreasing,  my flat space is increasing.

Now my computer is creaking under the amount of video's on my hard drive. I was going to get an expensive hard drive but I thought why bother when iCloud backs up these purchases. It means I could delete a large part of my library and only keep personal videos/DVD rips that apple don't back up (unfortunately). I could continue accessing them via Apple TV right?

Wrong as I was going  through some of the videos when I noticed some had disappeared. Speaking with Apple support they said the content owners can remove these at any time. After much discussion with apple and content owners. Turns out little that can be doen if they get removed you won't get them back.

So currently I discovered I have lost from the cloud: Bourne Identity (though this has returned), Bourne Supremacy, ICe Age 2: The Meltdown, ER Pilot episode. That's a lot of media to loose, so I'm now backing up and saving for that server.

Luckily for me I'd backed these up but iCloud has a long way to go before I can fully trust it with my Media and Data which is a shame as the concept is great but execution is mediocre.

Though I can't fully blame Apple I have to blame the Media Studio's, they are build on a very poor business model, the media rights are all over the place.

I believe the Movie/TV industry need an PRS like the music industry does, to allow them to release videos quickly and globally. Too many rights over territories means a film can be brought in US but not in UK as the rights holders can't release it.  It means things can be released from archive quicker and piracy is lessened as people more likely download what they can't get.

It's time for Apple and the Content owners sit around a table together and push towards iTunes Match for Video. UltraViolet is the Movies Studio answer but Apple have a more reliable system. I want to go to my online locker to get my backup not pay for a expensive backup server.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment