Thursday 18 March 2010

Media and Employment

So it's been a while since my first post, mostly as I've been swamped but also that I've been on a little vacation with some old school chums. 

Before I even went away I started thinking about what I wanted to blogg about and I've got a little list of things to write about but today I've sat reading a newspaper, I know its old fashioned but there is something still compelling about a good written article.

Within the first few pages there were the UK's current unemployment figures, tallies on types of unemployment and benefits. This got thinking back to my time unemployed straight out of Uni and my struggle finding work, fast forward and though employed I still have the same problems looking for work as I did back then.

Let's look at the problems:
  1. You need training for well paid jobs.
  2. If you have qualifications the job centre would rather put you in any job short term than find you a viable long term job. 
  3. You don't get proper help with job hunting unless your unemployed for three months, by which point those employing see you as unemployable.
  4. You can loose benefits within six weeks if you don't work the system, yet you can't look for jobs without spending money.
  5. Too many places to look as no employer can target more than one employment database.
  6. Every one wants CV information but not necessary in CV form.
  7. Fill out an electronic application form or a site for applying that doesn't work in the way its supposed to. Making it even more difficult to fill out professionally unless you have an IT degree.
  8. Showing your skills on paper for a job you could easily do doesn't work as well as you doing a trial for the job. I know so may people who lost out due to interviews where the ones who got the job we're crap actually doing the job.
  9. Your told to apply for ten jobs a day as for every ten jobs you apply for you get one interview, for every ten interviews you get a job offer, but it takes at least a day, possibly more to fill out a good job application.
All of this is even before you get a interview.

I myself have a website, CV, online profiles on site like LinkedIn, many subscriptions to job site, logins to company job site. In fact so many I can't keep track and i always rediscover ones I've signed up to in the past.

So in a world where media and online can get you any information is it so dam hard to apply for a job.

My very first job I walked into the shop in a tracksuit and got the job, the next one I was recommended by a neighbor, the one after that I covered sick leave and they created a job for me.

Is it me or is it crazy that the Job Center doesn't list jobs from every site or at least help those with the skills find the jobs, even crazier there isn't a computer standard, like there is for creating calendars, for job applications that will fill in all the CV info and just leave you to the important questions about the job.

Media should be making job hunting easier but its the opposite as employers spy via facebook and put up pdf applications that you have to print off, but still put an email address on the application. The employers should be finding me not the other way round.

I don't care if someone had an affair it doesn't stop them doing their job unless they are a marriage councilor, so why spy on people via facebook, it doesn't show how professional they are. If you give me an email address for a job application I expect it to be easy to fill out that application, not take me a couple of days to fill it out, just for you to throw it away without giving me an interview. Come on job descriptions are crap anyway, no one does what's in their job description. They always do more or they have had it so long they do a different job completely. 

I know I'm moaning but I want to pose one last question before my next blogg.

How is it I can travel away with friends, half way round the would, and I'm able to get some paperwork emailed to me and printed off for my friends from one sixty second phone call, but it takes me days to fill out job applications with the same information that's on my CV and a dozen other job sites?

No comments:

Post a Comment